YOU'LL NEED (makes 12 ornaments):
- 12 4" Styrofoam disks (available at joann.com)
- Mod Podge
- 2 paintbrushes, small and medium
- Red acrylic or tempera paint
- 12 toothpicks
- 12 6" x 8" cellophane bags (available at amazon.com)
- 24 twist ties
- 2 small bowls
- Silver glitter
- 2 yards ribbon, ¼" wide, optional
1. Coat Styrofoam disks with Mod Podge to seal; let dry completely.
2. Once disk has dried, paint a dot at center of each disk, then paint six dots around edge of each disk, spaced equally. Paint curved lines connecting each outer dot to center dot.
3. Working carefully, apply a few coats of red paint to each curved line, making them wider with each coat. Each line should be about 3/8" wide at center, broadening out to approximately 1" at edge of disk. Paint will absorb into Styrofoam, so be sure to apply at least three generous coats. Allow disks to dry completely. (You need only paint one side of disks unless you plan to display them where both sides will show.)
4. Insert toothpick in center of unpainted side of disk. Holding disk on toothpick, extend red stripes down side of disk. Let dry.
5. Cut off closed bottom ends of treat bags. Slide a painted disk into center of a bag, folding over any excess so that front of cellophone is taut and disk sits snugly, centered between ends of bag. Twist one end of bag next to disk and secure with twist tie. Repeat on other side. Trim ends if necessary.
6. Place a small amount of glue in a bowl, and a small amount of glitter in a second bowl.
7. Dip ends of each wrapper first into glue and then into glitter. Let dry.
8. Place ornaments on tree, letting them rest on branches. Or, make a hanger by cutting ribbon into 6" lengths. Tie each length in a loop and tape to back of ornament.