- Sharp serrated knife
- Pumpkin or Funkin (funkins.com), at least 10" tall and 11" diameter
- 8" cake pan without a lip
- Large spoon or ice cream scoop
- Terra-cotta pot or glass jar, approximately 6" tall
- Tap light
- Candy corn or other candy
1. Spread newspaper over work surface. Cut stem off pumpkin. Center inverted cake pan over top of pumpkin. Trace around cake pan with pencil; using this line as a guide, cut top off pumpkin in a scallop design. (Opening should allow cake pan to fit in snugly, so make it slightly smaller than outline of pan.)
2. Scoop seeds and pulp out of pumpkin with spoon. Draw facial features on pumpkin, positioning eyes at least 2" below scallop edge so cake pan does not show through jack-o’-lantern’s eyes. Using knife, carve face. Discard pulp and paper. Let pumpkin dry overnight.
3. Place inverted terra-cotta pot inside jack-o’-lantern and center at base. Turn on tap light and position it between pot and front wall of pumpkin so light shines through face. Balance cake pan, right side up, on top of pot. If pan seems unsteady, replace pot with one that has a larger diameter. Fill pan with candy.