Turn your kids into rock and pop stars with clothes you have on hand, plus a few basic craft supplies
Help your teen create this fabulous no-sew costume. Maybe she'll get a Grammy in her trick-or-treat bag!
YOU'LL NEED • 3-by-3-foot piece of gold fabric • Safety pins • Gold cardboard • Glue • Gold and pink glitter • Hoop earrings • Cardboard gift box • Also: black leggings, gold ballet flats and gold-tone bangles
* Fashion the dress. Tie two adjacent corners of fabric in a knot to create dress's halter top. Pin back of dress closed with safety pins from bottom to middle of back. (Trim length of dress if needed.) Pair with black leggings, gold ballet flats and bangles.
* Go glam with craft jewelry and a fake cell phone. Cut two circles from cardboard and decorate with glue and glitter. When dry, glue to hoop earrings. Coat gift box with glue and roll in pink glitter.
Complement a baggy track suit with homemade medallions.
YOU'LL NEED • Gold cardboard • Glue • Gold glitter • Hole punch • Gold cord • Also: tracksuit, oversize T-shirt, trucker hat and sneakers
* Create jewelry. Decorate circles of gold cardboard with glue and glitter; let dry. Punch a hole through each circle and hang from a loop of gold cord to finish each necklace. Put everything on.
Make this soul star costume from a dressed-up ribbed tank top.
YOU'LL NEED • Purple felt • Long adult purple tank top • Needle and thread or sewing machine • Glue • Glitter • 2 yards of purple tulle • Toilet paper tube • Black paper • Black paint • Egg-shaped Styrofoam ball • Also: dress shoes, tiara, gloves and feather boa
* Design the collar. Cut two U-shaped pieces from felt (width will depend on size of child) and trim them to match front and back neck opening of tank top. Stitch onto tank and decorate with glue and glitter.
* Sew on the ruffle. Fold tulle in half lengthwise and sew a gathering stitch along folded edge. Pull one thread so fabric gathers into a ruffle; stitch folded, gathered edge to bottom hem of tank top. Trim bottom of ruffle according to child's height.
* Make a microphone. Coat toilet paper tube with glue and cover it with black paper. Paint Styrofoam ball black and glue it into top of tube.
This rocker looks realistic, with fake tattoos and skater-style clothes.
YOU'LL NEED • 1 dowel (3/8-inch in diameter), cut in half • Temporary tattoos • Electric pencil sharpener • Sandpaper • Flag bandana • Also: oversize sleeveless T-shirt, baggy camouflage shorts, sneakers and wig, if desired
* Shape drumsticks. Sharpen both pieces of dowel at one end using an electric pencil sharpener. Sand lightly to smooth all surfaces and make sharp point dull and rounded.
* Apply tattoos. Temporary designs go on in five minutes and last up to four days if not washed off.
* Add more hair. Put a shaggy wig under bandana.
Adapt this for a boy by subbing in ripped jeans for the skirt.
YOU'LL NEED • Baby bonnet • Felt • Cardboard • Fabric glue • Needle and thread • Ribbon • Self-adhesive Velcro tabs • Also: tank top, plaid skirt, dog tags (keep long to avoid a safety hazard) and high-top sneakers
* Snip a mohawk. Trim brim off bonnet. Cut a 2-by-8-inch strip of felt and make three 2-inch slits spaced a half inch apart along its length. Cut three cardboard triangles 4 inches tall by 2 inches wide; cover with six felt triangles. Insert base of triangles into slits in felt strip, fold over a half-inch seam on bottom and glue in place. Pin strip with triangles facing up on bonnet and then whip stitch to bonnet.
* Create wrist cuffs. Cut lengths of ribbon and attach Velcro to each end.
Put him in head-to-toe denim, and add custom pieces.
YOU'LL NEED • Plastic needlepoint grid • Brown yarn • Needle and thread • T-shirt • Felt • Silver cardboard • Glue • Glitter • Self-adhesive Velcro tab • Also: cowboy hat, button-front shirt, jeans and shoes
* Grow chest hair. Cut needlepoint grid into a triangular patch and loop yarn through it; sew onto front of T-shirt.
* Buckle a belt. Cut a 1½-inch-wide strip of felt for belt. Cut a large oval from cardboard to serve as buckle. Glue oval onto center of felt and decorate with glue and glitter; let dry. Attach self-adhesive Velcro to ends of felt for belt closure.