This Halloween, bring your children's favorite storybook characters to life with simple-to-sew DIY costume ideas for kids of all ages, including Wilbur and Charlotte from Charlotte's Web and mischief-maker Curious George.
White Witch Costume, from The Chronicles of Narnia
• 2 to 4 yards iridescent fabric (depending on child’s size)
• 2 to 4 yards blue lace (depending on child’s size)
• White tights
• Silver shoes
• Silver cord (3 times size of child’s waist)
• 2 yards each silver and white ribbon
• Fake white fur
• Wand (store bought)
• Silver cardboard
• Glue Gems and glitter
• Hole punch
• White elastic
1. Trace shape of a child’s long dress onto iridescent fabric. Cut front and back and sew together to create the sleeveless bottom layer.
2. Trace shape of child’s long dress onto lace. Cut out into front, back and sleeves for top layer. Sew back and front of outer layer together. Sew sleeves and attach sleeves to bodice. Trim neckline with scissors.
3. Have child put on dress, tights and shoes. Wrap silver cord around waist 3 times and tie into a bow. Tie ribbons around upper arms and blouse material to make sleeves puffy.
4. Cut white fake fur to create a stole. Make slits in sides of stole; thread white ribbon through to make arm loops. Tie more ribbon around wand.
5. Cut crown out of silver cardboard; glue or staple together in back. Glue gems and glitter to crown. Punch holes in sides of crown and thread with elastic to make chin strap.