Set the scene at your Halloween party with this spooky (and simple!) DIY Halloween decoration.
- Pumpkin, ghost and bat templates (download at allyou.com/halloween-mobile)
- Printer and plain white paper
- 5 8½" x 11" sheets each of orange, yellow and white vellum paper, plus 5 sheets of black or gray (paperandmore.com)
- Cutting mat
- X-acto knife
- 1/8" and ¼" hole punches
- Embroidery thread or dental floss
- 18" dowel rod, ½" diameter
1. Print pumpkin, ghost and bat templates and cut out with scissors.
2. FOR PUMPKINS: Place template on orange vellum, trace twice with pencil and cut out two pumpkins. Trace once on yellow vellum; cut out. Place orange pumpkins on cutting mat; cut out facial features with X-acto knife.
FOR GHOSTS: Place template on white vellum, trace twice and cut out two ghosts. Trace once on gray vellum; cut out. Use ¼" hole punch to make eyes on white ghosts.
FOR BATS: Place template on black or gray vellum, trace twice and cut out two bats. Trace once on yellow vellum; cut out. Use 1/8" hole punch to make eyes on black or gray bats.
3. For each ornament, stack three layers (middle layer does not have facial features) and use 1/8" punch to make a hole at top. Insert an 18" length of thread through hole and knot.
4. Tie ornaments to dowel (for more dimension, cross two dowels), arranging them so they hang at different lengths and don’t overlap one another. Trim excess thread. Hang mobile by a window so light can pass through.