All you need to make this cute kids’ Halloween costume is a sweat suit, some fabric scraps and a few fun touches.
- Dessert plate
- Two shades of purple cotton fabric, 1 yard each
- Sewing needle
- Two bags fiberfill
- Purple sweatshirt
- Grape-leaf templates (click here for attached PDF)
- Printer and plain white paper
- Three 9” x 12” pieces green felt
- Green medium-point felt-tip marker
- Hot-glue gun
- Additional purple sweatshirt (for hat) or knit hat
- Green sweatpants
1. Lay dessert plate on fabric and trace around it with chalk. Repeat until you have five circles in both shades of fabric. Cut out all 10 circles.
2. Sew around circumference of each fabric circle, about ½” from edge, using a running stitch. When circle is complete, pull thread to gather fabric, tucking in raw edge as you gather. Fill pouch with fiberfill until round and taut. Sew opening closed. Repeat for each circle.
3. Loosely stitch grapes together in desired formation, then sew cluster to sweatshirt.
4. Download large and small leaf templates from allyou.com and print out. Cut out shapes. Use chalk to trace nine small and six large leaves onto green felt; cut out. Use green marker to draw leaf veins. Reserve three small leaves for that. Glue leaves together in groups of twos or threes, then stitch or glue leaves onto grape cluster, as desired.
5. If using sweatshirt for hat, cut off one sleeve and follow Step 3 for tomato costume (on the next slide). If using knit hat, sew felt leaves to top of hat.