Use bubble wrap to make kid-friendly firecrackers that still crackle and pop.
- Pipe cleaners
- Cardboard tube from a toilet-paper roll
- Orange tissue paper
- Bubble wrap
- Red, white and blue decorations (paint, markers, stickers, tissue paper, etc.)
1. Tape both ends of a pipe cleaner to one end of a toilet paper tube along the inside so they form a handle. Twist the handle together to create a "fuse." Cut a 1" square of tissue paper, crinkle it, and poke pipe cleaner through it about 1" to make fuse appear lit.
2. Cut a 4" square of bubble wrap. Roll it up, stuff in tube and tape in place.
3. Decorate tube with red, white and blue stars and stripes.
4. Once you're finished, kids can make the fireworks "go off" by squeezing the tubes to burst the bubble wrap.
Source: Marie LeBaron