Scare trick-or-treaters with clever outdoor Halloween decorations.
Pumpkin Zombie Guards
YOU'LL NEED (FOR 1 ZOMBIE) • 3 pumpkins in various sizes (find artificial pumpkins at funkins.com) • Sharp knife • Black spray paint • 2 14" branches • Marker • 2 3/8" diameter wooden dowels, each 3' long • Drill
1. Choose pumpkins for head, body and base. Cut hole in back of head and body; hollow out. (Leave base whole.) Carve face; slice stems off body and base.
2. Spray-paint branches. Take body, mark points to insert branch arms, and drill holes small enough so branches will fit tightly. (Don't insert yet.)
3. Both dowels will go in top of the body pumpkin and out through bottom. Drill a pair of holes, one on either side of stem. Insert a dowel in each and mark where they hit the bottom of pumpkin. Remove dowels and drill holes in bottom, as marked. Lay pumpkin on its side and insert dowels so they go through a top hole and out a bottom hole.
4. Put body on base. Mark where dowels touch top of base. Set body aside; drill holes.
5. Stack body atop base again, inserting dowels into base.
6. Mark where dowels should enter bottom of head. Drill holes and stack head on body. Insert branches in arm holes.