Make all three of these cute and decorative Valentine's Day crafts using paper hearts.
Dangle a Chain
Heart-shaped paper punches in 3 graduated sizes (the largest one we used was 2 1/2")
Lightweight card stock
Red embroidery thread
1. Punch out hearts in different sizes, cutting two identical hearts for each one that will be glued on embroidery thread. Cut thread 6" longer than desired length.
2. Attach hearts to thread, with the smallest at the top, the largest on the bottom. Apply glue to back side of two same-size hearts. Glue hearts together with thread sandwiched in between, running vertically down the center.
3. Make interlocking hearts: Punch out two large hearts. Using scissors, cut a slit halfway down the center of one heart, from the top to the middle. Cut a slit halfway up the center of the other heart, from the bottom point to the middle. Slide hearts together at the slit. (Glue thread where hearts intersect, at the center. Trim thread.)
Dress Up a Bouquet
Heart-shaped paper punches, 1" and 1 1/2"
Lightweight card stock (choose colors and patterns that contrast with the flowers)
Scissors or wire cutters
18-gauge florist wire
Bouquet of flowers in a vase (we used chrysanthemums)
1. Punch out 12 hearts, 6 small and 6 large.
2. Using scissors, cut 12 pieces of wire 7" to 8" long.
3. Bend a wire at a right angle, about ½" from the end. Glue the bent portion of wire to the back of a heart. Repeat for each wire.
4. Insert wires into bouquet. Adjust hearts so they are vertical.
Send a Valentine's Message
Red card stock or construction paper, 6" x 8"
1 piece each white and patterned card stock or construction paper
Heart-shaped paper punches, 1" and 1/2"
Pencil and ruler (optional)
1. Fold red card stock in half to form a 6" x 4" card.
2. Punch a line of 1" hearts, about 6" long, down one edge of white paper. Cut this strip from sheet, using a pencil and ruler to make it straight and even. Repeat to make a second strip. Use glue stick to attach strips to top and bottom edge of card.
3. Punch three 1½" hearts out of patterned paper. Glue hearts to center of card.