YOU'LL NEED (makes 8 hats)
- Drinking glass, can or round cookie cutter
- 8 small (2½" or 3" diameter) terra-cotta pots (available at garden-supply stores)
- 2 sheets terra-cotta-colored card stock (available at craft stores)
- Tape measure
- 2 sheets black construction paper
- 2 sheets gold paper
- Craft glue
- To make hat brim, find a glass, can or cookie cutter about 1½" larger in diameter than opening of pots; place on terra-cotta card stock and trace around with pencil. Repeat 7 times. Cut out circles.
- For band, measure height and length (circumference) of pot’s raised lip. Add ½" to length, and use these dimensions to cut 8 bands out of black paper.
- For buckle, cut 8 small squares out of gold paper using height measurement for band. Cut 8 smaller squares (about half the size) out of black construction paper. Adhere a black square to center of each gold square with glue.
- To assemble hats, wrap a black paper band around pot’s raised edge, overlapping ends, and secure with glue. Place buckle on top of overlapping ends of black paper; use glue to secure. Apply glue to rim of pot, invert, center pot over brim, then press down. Repeat with remaining pots. Let dry completely before moving.