Create two distinct centerpieces—one for Thanksgiving and a second for Christmas—using the same basic items.
- Cylindrical glass vase
- Pillar candle at least 1½" smaller in diameter than the vase
- 24 1" gold pinecones (jamaligarden.com)
- Bittersweet berries in orange (flowerdepotstore.com)
1. Clean vase and center pillar candle inside.
2. Unwind pinecones from wire pick; discard pick.
3. Drop individual pinecones and berries into space between the candle and the glass a few at a time. Use pencil or similar tool to arrange as desired. Continue adding pinecones and berries until the vase is approximately a quarter full.
- Change the palette to plum.
- Use cranberries or currants instead of bittersweet berries.
- Finish hurricanes by tying a ribbon around the glass.
- Glue pinecone rosettes (Dry Nature Designs; 212-695-8911) to 1½"-wide ribbon and tie around candles.