Cap off your Christmas tree with this eye-catching star tree topper.
- Star template (download here)
- Printer and plain white paper
- 2 sheets red foam-core board (available at craft stores and epartypaper.com)
- X-acto knife
- Small paintbrush
- Silver glitter
- Red marker
- Paper-towel tube
1. Increase star template size by 200 percent and print two copies. Cut out. Trace stars onto foam core and use X-acto knife to cut out.
2. On each star, draw a straight line from top to bottom. Use ruler and pencil to mark center of each line.
3. At bottom of each star (where lower two points meet), cut 1" vertical slits about an inch on either side of center line.
4. Cut ¼" wide slit from top to center mark of one star. Cut ¼" wide slit from bottom (where bottom two points meet) to center mark of second star.
5. Brush glue carefully onto edges of each star, then dust with glitter. Set stars aside and allow to dry completely.
6. Using red marker and ruler, make diagonal stripes on white paper.
7. Roll striped paper around paper-towel tube and tape in place. Trim.
8. Place star with bottom slit perpendicular on top of star with top slit and slide together to interlock.
9. Gently slide striped paper-towel tube into four small slits at bottom of stars. Trim tube as needed and slide over top tree branch or branches.