Get creative with these intriguing projects, many of which you can pull off in an afternoon!
1. Arrange like art. Mount wallpaper remnants (especially antique or hand-painted ones) on fiberboard frame, then hang on the wall.
2. Paper the furniture. Cover the surface of a coffee table or bureau; coat with polyurethane or have a piece of glass cut to fit on top.
3. Fake a headboard. Affix a paper rectangle to the wall above the bed; make sure your paper is a few inches wider than the mattress.
4. Light up a faux fireplace. Line the inside with a pretty pattern.
5. Divide and decorate. Cover the panels of an old screen with a variety of cheerful prints and solids. Or make your own screen by joining bifold doors (available at home improvement centers) together with hinges.
6. Add a backdrop. Transform open shelving with alternating prints, adhered to the wall behind.
7. Go upstairs. Effect the look of an elegant, tiled staircase―or simply add a splash of color to a drab space―by covering risers with a graphic print.
8. Design your own mural. Cut flowers, birds and the like from one decorative wallpaper and paste them onto a wall covered in a simple, uniform motif such as a large-stripe pattern or leaf print.
9. Look up. Beautify a plain light fixture with a circular paper ceiling medallion or cut oval or rectangular backing plates to place on the wall behind sconces.
10. Jazz up an oldie. To decorate the front of a chest of drawers, simply unscrew the knobs, and lightly sand the surface. Cut strips to size―slightly smaller than the drawer front to create a framed effect, as shown here, or large enough to completely cover the space―and adhere. Replace knobs.