Use recycled glass jars and cardboard for festive tiki-themed decorations.
- Measuring tape
- Fine-gauge wire (such as florist’s wire)
- Clean glass jars in various sizes
- Needle-nose pliers
- 12" x 16" sheets colored corrugated paper (available at amazon.com)
- X-acto knife
- Glue gun
- Tea lights
FOR WIRE HANGERS
- Cut a 1' to 2' length of wire, depending on size of jar.
- Leaving a tail of 4" to 5", wrap wire around top of jar several times. Twist long end and tail together, then arch long end over top of jar.
- Secure end by slipping it between jar and wrapped wire. Adjust to desired length; twist closed.
- Use pliers to crimp twisted wires into place, then use scissors to snip any excess wire.
FOR LANTERN COVERS
- Measure height and circumference of each jar.
- Cut sheet of corrugated paper that is 1" wider than jar, so that corrugated ridges are vertical (1 sheet yields 1 to 3 lanterns, depending on jar size).
- Lay paper flat and use X-acto knife to cut out simple shapes, like crescents, triangles or squiggly lines. The holes will allow light to shine through, overlapping 1".
- Wrap cover around jar and glue ends together.
- Place each tea light in a lantern and hang.