YOU'LL NEED (makes 1 egg)
- Cloth measuring tape
- Wooden craft egg (at craft stores and amazon.com)
- 6" x 6" sheet patterned origami paper (at craft stores and amazon.com)
- Small, sharp scissors such as embroidery or cuticle scissors
- Small fine-tipped or foam paintbrush
- Craft glue such as Mod Podge
1. Measure length and circumference of craft egg. Add ¼" to length measurement and 1/8" to circumference measurement. Use these measurements and ruler to draw a rectangle on origami paper. Cut out rectangle.
2. Fold rectangle in half lengthwise so patterned side faces inward. Use pencil and ruler to draw a line parallel to fold and ¼" above it.
3. Lay ruler along long edge of rectangle, opposite fold. Mark off ¼" increments down entire edge.
4. At each ¼" mark, cut into paper (through both layers) toward fold, being careful not to cut beyond the line above fold. Unfold paper.
5. Use brush to apply thin coat of craft glue down fold line of paper's plain side. Wrap paper lengthwise around center of egg, patterned side out and cut strips facing up and down; press against egg to adhere.
6. Beginning with top half of egg, cut one strip so it just reaches tip of egg. Brush underside of strip with glue, and press gently to adhere to egg. Work carefully to achieve a neat, attractive result.
7. Repeat Step 6 on every other paper strip on top half, smoothing each into place on egg as you go.
8. Once every other strip on top half of egg has been glued into place, repeat process with remaining strips on that half, trimming strips as necessary to fit spaces. Once all strips on top half have been glued, apply a thin coat of glue over entire half of egg to seal.
9. Repeat Steps 6 through 8 on bottom half of egg. Allow egg to dry completely (until it no longer feels tacky) before displaying.