Dress up your mantel with these fun DIY Christmas stockings.
YOU'LL NEED (makes one stocking)
- Stocking and cuff templates
- Printer and plain white paper
- Scissors ¼ yard pink fabric
- Chalk or pen
- ½"-wide gold decorative trim, 10" long
For Faux-Fur Classic
- ¼ yard faux fur
- 1"-wide gold ribbon, 18" long
- Gold tassel
- Brass key
1. Download stocking and cuff templates from allyou.com; print and cut out with scissors. Fold fabric in half, right sides together, and place template on top. Trace around template using chalk or pen; cut out.
2. Pin stocking pieces together, right sides facing each other. Sew body of stocking, leaving a ½" seam allowance. Turn right side out and iron.
3. Lay faux fur on table, wrong side up. Place cuff template on top and trace around it; cut out. Repeat to make 2 cuff pieces. Cut 2 pieces of gold ribbon, each 9" long. Place cuff on flat surface, right side up. Lay ribbon on top of cuff, lined up along bottom edge. Pin, then sew, leaving a ½" seam allowance. Fold ribbon down so that it trims edge of cuff. Repeat on remaining cuff piece. Pin cuff pieces along side seams, wrong sides facing each other. Sew side seams together, leaving a ½" seam allowance.
4. Make a loop out of gold trim. Sew ends together, then sew loop to inside of cuff, along back seam (heel side).
5. Sew gold tassel and brass key to cuff, along back seam.
For Jester Style
- ¼ yard gold metallic fabric
- Five brass jingle bells
- 1"-wide gold decorative trim, 18" long
- Gold bow
- Hot-glue gun
- Cardboard monogram (in scrapbook aisle of craft stores)
1. Follow steps 1 and 2 from faux-fur classic.
2. Fold gold fabric so right sides face each other. Lay flat on table. Place cuff template on top and trace around it; cut out. Pin cuff pieces together, right sides facing each other. Sew along sides and scalloped edge, leaving a ¼" seam allowance. Trim scalloped edge close to stitching. Turn right side out and iron flat. Slip stitch side seam together.
3. Insert cuff into stocking, right side of cuff facing wrong side of stocking. Line up side seams and top edges of stocking and cuff. Sew cuff to stocking top, leaving a ½" seam allowance. Fold cuff over so seam is slightly below opening of stocking on inside.
4. Follow step 4 from faux fur classic.
5. Sew brass jingle bells to toe and each scallop point. Glue gold trim around stocking opening. Sew gold bow to cuff, and attach monogram with glue.