A pretty paint and stylish stencil design is all it takes to give your bureau a beautiful makeover.
Stencil Your Design
- Acrylic stencil paint
- Masking tape
- Palette or Styrofoam tray
- Stencil brush
- Cotton swab
- Artist's brush
- Polyurethane (optional)
1. Prepare to paint. Position the stencil, then use masking tape to hold it in place. Squeeze paint onto a palette (a Styrofoam tray works well). TIP: Stencil paint adheres more readily to less shiny finishes. Use a satin-finish water-based paint as the base.
2. Perfect your technique. Working with one color at a time, dip a stencil brush with a blunt, round tip into the paint, then tamp the bristles on the palette until they aren't saturated with color. Apply the paint to the stencil design using anup-and-down dabbing motion. (Never use a stroking motion―it will result in uneven coverage.) When the brush is empty, dip it again, and repeat using the same motion. Repeat the process for each color in your design.
3. Make corrections. When all areas are filled in and dry, remove the stencil. Clean any smudges with a cotton swab. Use an artist's brush to touch up the design freehand.
4. Seal it. Apply polyurethane. When paint is completely dry, reinstall knobs and replace drawers in bureau.