No matter how you slice it, these resourceful produce ideas are totally a-peel-ing.
Who knew these healthy snacks could be so handy after you’ve eaten them? Here’s how to repurpose peels, cores and extra juice to clean, cook and more.
- Banana peel plant duster: Clean and shine the leaves of houseplants in split seconds by wiping them down with the inside of a banana peel.
- Avocado hair mask: Mash an overripe avocado and mix in an egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Massage into damp hair, wrap under towel and leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse, shampoo and condition your hair as usual.
- Lemon juice stain remover: Clear up clothing messes by adding a half-a-cup of lemon juice to a load of white laundry, then letting the clothing dry in the sun.
- Strawberry popsicles: Make use of the mushy berries at the bottom of the carton. Blend them with other fruit, then freeze the liquid inside popsicle molds.
- Fruit jellies: Rather than pour what’s left in the OJ carton down the sink, use the juice—plus gelatin and sugar—to make delicious homemade candy.
- Tropical punch: You know that cranberry juice cocktail you bought when your mom came to visit? Save it to make this refreshing punch for pals.
- Peach jam: Is your fruit at the end of its life? Turn it into delicious homemade jam following this guide.