Before you know it, the school bells will be ringing. Avoid a last-minute scramble with this step-by-step guide to getting everything done. Print out this list to help you get organized!
Three weeks before:
- Inventory your child’s clothing. Make a record of what he needs.
- Familiarize yourself with the school’s Web site. Many teachers post a school-supply list, welcome note or other information.
- Gather ads for back-to-school sales. Decide which stores you’ll hit.
- Make an emergency plan. Call your emergency contacts (such as friends and relatives) to confirm that they’ll help if need be.
Two weeks before:
- Have your middle schooler practice with a combination lock. Also, practice changing classes.
- Be sure your child writes down his locker combination, class schedule, room numbers and teachers’ names in his planner.
- Shop for school supplies and clothes. Use our easy school shopping guide.
- Confirm child-care arrangements.
- Plan morning, afternoon and evening routines; enforce bedtimes.
One week before:
- Shop for groceries for next week’s lunches.
- Wash all your child’s clothes.
- Visit the school with your child.
- Show your child his bus stop.
- Ask if your child has any concerns.
The night before:
- Lay out clothes, shoes and backpacks for the next day.
- Plan for breakfast. Get great breakfast recipes here.
- Put your evening routine into action.
- Get plenty of sleep!