Clean your floors every week to help keep them stain free.
Linoleum or vinyl
- Scuff marks: Rub with a nylon scouring pad and a solution of half dish-washing liquid and half water. Lift other types of marks with a pencil eraser.
- Set stains (food, beverages, blood, grass, ink, pet accidents, etc.): Treat with a cloth soaked in two cups water and a quarter cup of bleach.
Wood with polyurethane finish
- Most stains: Tackle with a scrub pad and a cleaner made for a polyurethane finish, such as Bruce Dura-Luster No-Wax Floor Cleaner.
- Scuff marks: Use a dab of mineral spirits (a type of paint thinner) on a soft cloth.
- Crayon: Place a plastic bag filled with ice on scribbles until they harden, and then peel them off with a plastic spatula.