Organize dirty clothes first and you will end up with cleaner laundry.
• Buy a double hamper with baskets or bags for darks and lights, and put an additional hamper in the bathroom for sheets and towels.
• Have your kids pick up and sort their clothes daily—which means less work for you.
• Read labels carefully and opt for the gentlest washing and drying methods recommended; they can help extend the life of your clothes.
• Sort clothes into piles of darks, lights and items including underwear and sheets that need to be laundered in hot water to kill bacteria.
• Separate fuzzy fabrics such as chenille or cotton fleece from corduroy, velour or permanent press items, or the whole load will be covered in lint.
• Avoid fading and prevent damage to clothing by turning corduroy, knits and denim inside out before washing.