A cluttered bedroom overflowing with unnecessary items can make it hard to relax. Turn your bedroom into a soothing sanctuary with these easy tips.
- Make sure you have adequate storage for clothes and shoes. Add an extra chest of drawers if you have the space, and utilize the area under the bed.
- Choose a nightstand that suits your style. If you have a lot of reading material, pick a piece with a shelf or cabinet where you can store books and magazines. If you need space to hold tissues and medicine, use a nightstand with one or more drawers.
- Coordinate clothes in your closet by color range—it is visually calming and will make dressing faster and easier. To create more room, opt for slim-profile hangers.
- Eliminate everything extraneous and put files and projects elsewhere in your home.
Keep it clean
- Every day: Pick up clothes and put them away or toss them in the hamper, make the bed and empty the trash.
- One a week: Clean off nightstand surfaces, organize one dresser drawer, do laundry and put away clothes.
- Once a month: Reorganize the closet and toss what you no longer wear.
Bonus: Store in style
- Maximize wall space by installing chic box shelves, ideal for holding books, photos and other small items you want close at hand.
- Put a bench or chest at the foot of the bed for stowing blankets or extra pillows—it also provides a place to sit when slipping on shoes.
- Use shallow baskets that slide under a dresser or bed to hold out-of-season clothing.