Five reasons why it’s worth hanging on to those plain, old plastic bottle.
Typically destined for the trash, plastic bottles actually have lasting potential if you know how to use them. Here are a few of our favorite tricks worth trying at home.
- Store them in the fridge/freezer: A barely stocked fridge has to work harder to stay cold than a full one. Stash a few bottles of water on bare shelves to help maintain efficiency.
- Drop them in the toilet: You’ve probably heard about putting a brick in the tank―but bricks can deteriorate over time. Instead, fill a plastic bottle with water and put the cap on, then place it in the tank. The bottle will displace water, helping to reduce consumption.
- Use them as ice packs: Don't waste money on an ice pack; freeze water bottles and juice boxes instead. This will keep the food cold and the drink will be thawed in time for lunch.
- Turn them into dumbbells: Fill up water bottles to use as homemade dumbbells. For the best results, do 2-3 sets of 15 to 20 reps. Rest for 30 seconds between sets.
- Make a piggy bank: Turn an empty plastic beverage bottle (the wider the better) into an adorable place to collect coins. Use a craft knife to cut out a center slot in the bottle, then scissors and our templates to make ears, eyes, and a nose. For more info, follow our complete instructions.