Drape a string of flowers and silver balls above your table.
- Styrofoam balls in assorted sizes, 1¾" diameter and smaller
- Cardboard box such as a large shoe box
- Silver spray paint
- Flower-shaped craft punch (michaels.com)
- Scrapbooking or other medium-weight paper in a variety of colors
- Tissue paper in a variety of colors
- 1/8"-wide ribbon, about 3 yards long
- Darning needle, 2" long (or slightly longer than diameter of largest Styrofoam ball)
1. Place Styrofoam balls in box. In a ventilated area, spray-paint balls, shaking box so balls roll around. Continue until balls are completely coated with paint.
2. Use flower-shaped craft punch and scrapbooking paper to cut out about 5 flowers for every 1' of garland you want.
3. For each tissue-paper flower, cut 6 pieces of tissue paper, each 3" x 3½". Arrange pieces of tissue paper in 3 stacks of 2 pieces. Fold each stack accordion-style in 3/8" pleats along the longer edge; set aside. Make 2 or 3 tissue-paper flowers for every 1' of garland.
4. Assemble garland: Cut ribbon to desired length, adding about 18" on each end to hang. Thread needle with ribbon. Knot ribbon 18" from end.
5. String balls, craft-punch flowers and tissue-paper flowers on ribbon in random order. Slide first item to end of ribbon, near the knot. As you add items, move them toward end, leaving space in between.
6. To add balls and craft-punch flowers, simply push needle through center. To add tissue-paper flowers, make a knot in ribbon where you want flower to be. Push needle through midpoint of 3 sets of pleated paper. Make a knot in ribbon after paper. Arrange pleated paper into an asterisk shape, then fan folds open. Gently separate layers of tissue paper to form a ball.
7. When you've finished stringing items on garland, remove needle and tie a knot 18" from end.