Claire Boehning's life of privilege and ease in Seattle comes crashing down thanks to her husband, Addison's, gamble on a biotech venture. Now they must retreat with their 14-year-old daughter to a bare-bones ranch house in rural Washington, where Claire struggles to revive a long-dormant medical career in order to support her family. The follow-up to Carol Cassella's national bestseller Oxygen, Healer explores the fallout of broken trust, the ongoing struggle to be truly understood, and the ultimate redemption of love and family. Learn more about Healer!
- Claire's work at the clinic, caring for her patients, also leaves her less time to care for her daughter, Jory. She thinks "time travels faster for a forty-three-year-old than a fourteen-year-old." Do you agree? How well do you think Claire handles this difficult situation?
- Claire is shocked and angry to learn the extent of Addison's financial gambling, and feels betrayed that he hid it from her. However, Claire also hides her true feelings from Jory, so much that it exhausts her. Why do you think she does this?
- What role does money play in the relationship between Claire and Addison?
- How does Miguela's struggle, her quest to find out what happened to her daughter, affect Claire's perspective and her relationship with Jory?
- Do you think Addison is a dreamer? Is he selfish? Is he more scientist or more businessman?
- How do their shared experiences affect the relationship between Claire and Addison by the end of the story? They leave lasting scars, but do they also make it stronger?
- Do you think Claire's use of the money from the sale of her engagement ring was a way to get back at Addison? Or is it simply a much-needed gift to Miguela?
- Do you think Claire, Addison, and Jory will stay in Hallum after the story ends?
3rd Prize – Win signed copies of Healer for your entire book group
2nd Prize – Carol Cassella will participate with your book group by phone and your entire book group will received signed copies of Healer
1st Prize – Receive a $200 gift card to Wal-Mart, Carol Cassella will participate with your book group by phone and your entire book group will received signed copies of Healer, along with signed copies of Carol’s book Oxygen
*No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited or otherwise restricted by law. Open to legal residents of the US (except Puerto Rico), age 18 or over. Sweepstakes begins 6/12/11 and ends 7/21/11. Click here for a full set of rules.