Easy exercises that energize your daily routine—no equipment necessary!
Rather than browse Facebook while you wait for the delivery guy, try these moves sure to raise your heart rate and your spirits.
- Take the stairs and do lunges: Stand about three feet in front of the stairs, with your hands on your hips for balance. Place your right foot completely on the first step. Bend both legs into a lunge; don't let your right knee move past your right ankle, and keep your right shin perpendicular to the stair. When your right thigh is parallel to the floor, push off your right foot, stepping next to your left. Repeat, alternating sides, for one minute.
- Do wall push-ups: To work your chest, shoulders, triceps and core, place your hands shoulder-width apart on a sturdy wall in front of you, feet slightly apart, abs engaged, back and legs straight. Lift your heels to balance on your toes and lean forward slightly so that most of your weight is on your arms. Inhale as you bend your elbows and lean your body toward the wall, maintaining a long, straight line from head to toe.
- Lift bags of groceries to build biceps: Stand with your feet together, holding a pair of full grocery bags or even soup cans in front of your thighs. Bend your elbows slowly, bringing the bags up toward your shoulders and keeping elbows by your sides. Slowly lower the bags and repeat 8eight to 10 times.
- Do calf raises while you watch TV: Stand on the first step of a nearby staircase or stool, making sure to hold onto a railing or sturdy piece of furniture. Allow your heels to drop lower than your toes. Lift to the balls of your feet; lower your heels again. Continue for one minute.
- Do plies while you cook: While you’re at the stove stirring a pot, stand tall with your toes facing out at a 45-degree angle. Tuck your tailbone under and bend your knees until they are over your toes. Keep your chest upright and your hips and shoulders in a straight line. Return to standing. Repeat 12 to 15 times. This move eases pressure on your lower back and helps straighten your spine.