There's no time to cook! Sound familiar? One busy family learned how to squeeze more home-cooked meals into their schedule—and you can, too.
More Smart Grocery Picks
• Whole-grain tortillas and buns: Freeze these so you always have them around. Use tortillas for burritos, wraps and pizzas; buns are your best choice when making burgers and sandwiches.
• Canned fat-free refried beans: For burrito lovers, this is a great fast filling. Leftovers will keep for five days in the fridge in a resealable container.
• Frozen or quick-boil plain brown rice: Takes minutes to cook but is just as healthful as regular brown rice.
• Whole-grain pasta: Look for "100 percent whole grain" on the box; it has more fiber, vitamins and minerals than noodles made with refined flour.
• Jarred tomato sauce: Read the ingredients list; choose a brand with no added sugar.
• Frozen pizza: Opt for a thin crust, veggie-topped frozen pie; Kashi and DiGiorno Crispy Flatbread are two smart choices.
• Frozen unsweetened fruit: Blend with yogurt or milk for a quick smoothie.