For those with serious food allergies, mealtime often means sticking to a bland routine or eating something different from
the rest of the family. No more! With a few simple swaps, everyone can have nutritious and mouth-watering foods they love.
Nut-Free Chocolate Brownies
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. nut-free unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
3 1/2 oz. nut-free semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Line a 7-by-11-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Sift flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
3. Place sugar, butter, 2 Tbsp. water, chocolate and vanilla in a saucepan and warm over low heat, stirring, until melted.
4. Pour chocolate mixture into flour mixture, add eggs, and beat until smooth.
5. Transfer to prepared pan and bake until firm to touch and slightly crusty on top, 20 minutes.
6. Cool brownies on a wire rack for 10 minutes; cut into 15 pieces. Cool completely before removing from pan. Store in an airtight container.
PER SERVING (1 brownie): 137 Cal., 6g Fat (3g Sat.), 37mg Chol., 1g Fiber, 2g Pro., 20g Carb., 51mg Sod.