Dairy- and Nut-Free Meatloaf
Prep: 10 min.
Cook: 1 hr. and 15 min.
Cost per serving: $1.37
1 onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. nut-free vegetable oil, plus extra for pan
1 lb. ground beef
8 oz. pork or sausage meat
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (optional)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
6 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
3 Tbsp. ketchup (check label to make sure it contains no traces of wheat or dairy)
3 Tbsp. tomato puree
salt and pepper
1 large egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. For a soft-sided loaf that is crusty on top, line a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with waxed paper. If you prefer the meatloaf crusty all the way around, line a baking sheet instead.
2. Fry onion in oil until softened and golden, 4 minutes.
3. In a bowl, mix beef, pork, Worcestershire sauce (if using) garlic, bread crumbs, thyme, parsley, ketchup and tomato puree. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in beaten egg to bind.
4. Transfer mixture to prepared pan or shape into a loaf roughly 9 inches by 5 inches on baking sheet.
5. Bake until browned on top and sides are beginning to shrink away from pan, 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
6. Turn out onto a warm plate. Pour any juices in pan over loaf. Slice and serve.
Make it egg-free: Substitute 1 tablespoon of potato flour mixed with 2 tablespoons of water in place of the beaten egg and stir into the mixture in step 3.
PER SERVING: 511 Cal., 34g Fat (12g Sat.), 127mg Chol., 2g Fiber, 26g Pro., 25g Carb., 911mg Sod.