Get back in shape with a new outdoor walking regimen that takes advantage of the natural terrain. You can lose 8 pounds in 4 weeks!
Workout #3: POWER AROUND THE BLOCK
You can burn 200 calories in 45 minutes.
What could be easier than walking through the neighborhood? Follow this workout and melt away the pounds—without setting foot in a gym.
- First 5 minutes: To warm up, walk at an easy pace, shoulders relaxed.
- Next 15 minutes: Pick up your pace so you're walking briskly and breathing slightly harder than during the warm-up. Strive for around 130 steps per minute (use a pedometer or simply count).
- Next 5 minutes: Do around-the-block intervals. Walk briskly around the block once. Go around the block again, but pick up your pace so you're moving fast enough that your breathing is labored. Keep circling the block, alternating between the slower and faster paces.
- Next 10 minutes: Return to the brisk pace of the second phase above; use your butt muscles to push your body forward.
- Next 5 minutes: Repeat the around-the-block intervals, again alternating between your brisk and faster paces.
- Last 5 minutes: Walk slowly to bring your breathing back to normal.
Power walking 101:
Stay safe with these guidelines for where and how to walk.
- Avoid traffic. Stick to quiet residential streets, and keep to the side of the road facing oncoming cars.
- Choose the right footwear. For relatively flat, smooth roads, lightweight running shoes should provide enough support and padding. Look for cushioning at the ball of the foot (runners need more in the heel area) and both flexibility and resistance when you twist the front and back of the shoe.
- Don't overdo it. Yes, you've chosen an easy surface, but don't go for longer than recommended. To further prevent injury, ease into things and be sure to stretch both before and after your walk.
- Stay alert. Headphones are OK, but don't blast music so loud you can't hear horns or sirens.