Run through this Halloween safety checklist to make sure your children stay safe while they're out trick-or-treating!
- Make trick-or-treating a family activity and go with your children.
- Dress children in brightly-colored costumes, or attach reflective tape to their costumes, so they are visible to cars. Give everyone a flashlight.
- Buy flame-resistant wigs, masks and costumes.
- Make sure that masks and costumes fit properly to minimize accidents. If the mask is too large, cut bigger eye holes or use face paint; if the costume is too long, cut the material down.
- Buy soft, flexible toy swords, knives and other costume props.
- Always inspect all your children's candy before they eat any of it. Throw out any candy that isn't in its original wrapper or is unwrapped.
- Remove flowerpots, wires, garden hoses or low tree limbs from your porch or driveway.
- Leave your porch light on.
Have a spooktacular Halloween!