Ring in the annual Mexican holiday with festive food, crafts and learning games.
Create a Build-Your-Own Taco Buffet
WHAT YOU NEED:
• 24 6" corn tortillas (1 Ib. package)
• Vegetable oil, for frying
• Meat from 1 large store-bought rotisserie chicken, warm
• 2 Ib. pulled pork (get our slow-cooker pulled pork recipe here)
• Assorted toppings (see below)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a dry skillet, over medium-high heat, warm 12 tortillas, one at a time, for about 30 seconds on each side. Stack tortillas and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Place in oven for at least 15 minutes.
2. Pour oil to a depth of about 1″ in a small skillet and heat until it registers 380°F on a deep-fry thermometer. Fry remaining 12 tortillas, one at a time, turning with tongs, until lightly browned and completely crisp, about 30 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels and keep at room temperature.
3. Shred chicken into large chunks, place in a bowl; keep warm. Put pork in a separate bowl and keep warm.
4. Wrap tortillas from oven in a cloth napkin to keep warm. Stack fried tortillas next to them. Let guests assemble their own tacos with chicken, pork and their choice of toppings.