Prepare for smiles when you give these super-easy-to-make Christmas cookies as gifts.more
(For cardboard base)
- Packing tape
- Empty graham cracker box
- One cardboard 12-pack beverage box
- Corrugated cardboard
- Empty spaghetti box
- Large board
- Royal icing
- Graham crackers
- Green and red food coloring
- Licorice Allsorts
- Butter waffle cookies
- Spoon-size shredded wheat-and-bran cereal
- Jelly Belly jelly beans
- Old-fashioned stick candy
- Green Chuckles
- Green apple gum by the foot
- Red Twizzlers
- Haribo raspberry candies
- Spearmint leaves
- Green rock-candy lollipops
- Red gumdrops
- Red fruit leather
- Black licorice Scotty dog
- Assemble cardboard base: Use packing tape to attach graham cracker box to front, right-hand side of beverage box, so that the bottom and right sides of each box line up flush against each other.
- Cut out cardboard peaks and roofs: For main roof, cut out 2 10” x 6 ½” rectangles from cardboard. For side peaks, cut out 2 triangles, each one having one long side measuring 7 ¼” and two shorter sides measuring 6”. For front roof, cut out 2 trapezoids, parallel sides measuring 6” and 2 ¼” respectively, and nonparallel sides measuring 6” and 7” respectively. For front peak, cut out a triangle with two longer sides measuring 6” and one shorter side measuring 5 ¼”.
- Use packing tape to attach side and front peaks and then to attach main and front roof pieces. Use tape to attach spaghetti-box chimney to left side of house, 1 ¼” from back edge. Glue cardboard base to a large board with royal icing and let dry 1 hour.
- Attach graham crackers: Spread icing over first story of each wall of house, excluding the spaghetti-box chimney, then press graham crackers into icing, cutting them to fit as necessary.
- Color door and pipe window panes: Color about ½ cup icing with green food coloring. Color about ¼ cup icing with red food coloring. Cut a whole graham cracker into peaked door. Spread green icing over door. Cover remaining green icing with plastic wrap and set aside. Cut hinges and doorknob from Licorice Allsort and press into door. Let dry for 1 hour. Cut 4 butter waffle cookies into small rectangles and leave 2 oval-shaped. Pipe red icing over diamond pattern of cookies to create diamond-shaped windowpanes. Let dry for 1 hour.
- Shingle roof: Fill a pastry bag fitted with a small plain tip with royal icing. Squeeze a little bit of icing on cereal, one piece at a time, and apply a row of cereal pieces along bottom edge of one side of roof. Apply another row above that one, overlapping second row slightly over first row, cutting pieces as necessary to fit in corners. Continue until you reach peak of roof. Repeat with other side of roof and gables.
- Cover chimney: Spread a thin layer of icing over chimney and press jelly beans into icing. Break candy stick in half and insert each half into Chuckle to create chimney flues. Adhere chimney flues to top of chimney with icing.
- Stucco house and apply trim boards and half-timbers: Spread icing over second story walls. Glue gum-by-the-foot trim board between first and second stories and about 1 ½” from top of front peak. Use icing to attach Twizzlers onto house, cutting them to fit, to create half-timbers as pictured.
- Attach and trim doors and windows: Use icing to glue door and windows to front and sides of house. Scrape remaining green icing into a pastry bag fitted with ridged basket-weave tip and trim windows and doors as pictured. Attach Haribo raspberry candies above door.
- Landscape house: Spread a thin layer of icing on top of board all around house. Glue spearmint leaves all around base of house. Use scissors to cut sticks from rock-candy lollipops. Press narrower end of each lollipop into a red gumdrop to create a stable base. Glue gumpdrops to board. Cut out a small triangle of red fruit leather and pipe with white icing to create Santa hat. Use more icing to adhere to head of Scotty dog and glue dog to board near front door.