1. Make sure the wine is well-chilled. To cool it quickly, fill an ice bucket with ice and enough water to make a slushy mix. Submerge the bottle up to the neck for 20 minutes.
2. Take off the foil from the cork. Untwist and remove the wire cage.
3. Hold the bottle securely in your dominant hand. Anchor your thumb in the depression under the bottle. Hold the cork with your opposite hand. With the bottle tilted at a 45-degree angle, pointed away from others, turn the bottle—not the cork—to gently release the stopper.
4. Keep your palm over the cork. Use your hand to prevent the cork from popping into the air.
5. Pour a tiny amount into the base of a flute glass. Allow the foam to subside, then fill the glass until it’s two-thirds full.