- Table runner without a stain-resistant finish
- Masking tape
- Stencils (seen here, Live, Laugh, Love, $20, and large feathered border, $17; designerstencils.com)
- Fabric paint or acrylic paint
- Round stencil brush
- Paper towels
Note: If this is your first experience stenciling, practice on scrap fabric, following these instructions.
1. Iron runner thoroughly, then tape down to work table, stretching it taut as you go.
2. Decide where you want to put stencils. Tape first stencil in place.
3. Pour paint into bowl. Dab brush into paint, scraping off excess. Hold brush vertically and apply by dabbing, not stroking
(this could cause paint to seep under stencil edges).
4. Let paint dry, then go over any areas that aren't sufficiently filled in. Let dry; remove stencil.
5. If reusing same stencil, wipe clean with paper towels and let dry. Repeat steps 2 through 4 until your design is complete.