These fresh ideas are playful enough to please all ages, and packed with flavor. Bon appetite!
Desperate to make a meal for your family that won’t bore you to tears? We rounded up a few favorites that take otherwise basic dishes to a whole new (brag-worthy) level.
- Spaghetti with Butternut Squash: Not only does this dish kick up basic spaghetti, but it costs less than $1 a serving to make! Try it with linguine or penne, plus sage and Parmesan.
- Spicy Chicken Salad: To be honest, we’ve never met a chicken salad we didn’t like. But this one brings some heat thanks to chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Serve it with crackers or cool iceberg lettuce cups.
- Grilled Cheese with Ham and Peaches: Grilled cheese grows up with the addition of ham and peaches. To make this sandwich even more sensational, cook it in a skillet with butter.
- Moroccan Moroccan Meatloaf: Gussying up a meatloaf meal is easier than you think. Just toss in some spices—cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, cumin, cayenne—and top the whole thing with a can of diced tomatoes and raisins.
- Burger with Avocado Anchovy Sauce: Nothing feels more all-American than a classic burger and fries. But top a patty with avocado slices, fresh herbs, anchovy fillets and alfalfa sprouts, and you’ve got one memorable meal.