Make the most of your ground beef recipes with our Master Meat Mix
Use this thirfty base as a substitute for ground beef in your favorite recipes. It makes enough for two yields of most recipes, so don't foget to double the recipe it's used in.
Master Meat Mix
Prep: 20 minutes
Yield: About 3 lb. 6 oz.
Cost per serving: 50¢
- 1 14.5 oz. can kidney beans, drained, 1/4 cup liquid reserved
- 2 lb. 85 percent lean ground beef
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
1. In a large bowl, using a fork, mash kidney beans with reserved liquid. Add beef, eggs, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper and mix gently but thoroughly with your fingers.
2. Divide mixture into 2 portions, about 1 lb. 11 oz. each. Use immediately or place each portion in a large ziplock bag, zqueeze out air and seal. Refrigerate for upt to 1 day or freeze for up to 1 month.
Per serving (4 oz.): 206 Cal.,12g Fat (5g Sat.), 82mg Chol., 2g Fiber, 17g Pro., 6g Carb., 342mg Sod.
Use this ground beef mix in the following recipes, which when doubled (to accommodate this yield), will serve 16--that's right, 16!--people.
Photo credit: Costco.com