Get inspired for summer grilling with these burger topping ideas—plus, learn how to layer burger toppings for maximum flavor!
When building a great burger, you need to start with great ingredients. Some ideas to get you started:
Fundamental building block of any good burger. Bonus points if you grill it first!
- English Muffin
- Pretzel roll
- Challah roll
Sure, you can skip cheese, but why would you want to?
- Monterey Jack
- Pepper Jack
- Goat Cheese
- Queso Fresco (crumbly Mexican cheese)
Get a good crunch going to balance out texture and flavor.
- Onion (Red, White)
- Bean Sprouts
- Peppers (jalepeno, pepperoncini, red bell)
A little extra flavor never hurt anyone!
- Fried Egg
- Sweet Potato
- Onion Rings
- Black Beans
- Pulled pork
For when you're feeling saucy
- Mustard (yellow, spicy, dijon)
- Thousand Island (or: In N Out's secret sauce)
- Pico de Gallo
- BBQ sauce
For when you've run out of mustard...
- Asian Mayo: Combine 1 cup mayonnaise with 2 tsp. wasabi paste and 1 tsp. soy sauce. Mix well and chill before serving.
- Pesto Mayo: Mix 1 cup mayonnaise with 1 Tbsp. prepared pesto and 1 tsp. grated lemon zest. Chill before serving.
- Ranch Olé: Stir 1 tsp. minced, seeded jalapeño and 2 sliced scallions into 1 cup ranch dressing. Chill before serving.
- The "Baconator": Mix 8 oz. cream cheese with crumbled bacon and 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire. Serve at room temperature.
- Spicy Ketchup: Mix 1 cup ketchup with 1 Tbsp. prepared horseradish and ½ tsp. hot sauce, or more to taste. Serve chilled.
- Buffalo Hot Sauce: Mix 1/2 cup hot sauce (like Frank's Red Hot) with 3Tbsp melted butter and 1 tsp honey. Serve at room temperature.
NEXT: How to put it all together (plus, some recipe ideas!)