Clare McHugh (All You Editor), 51, New York City
Prep: 30 min.
Bake: 60 min.
Cost per serving: $1.43
- 1 1/4 cups raisings (brown or golden)
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 3 1/2 lb. Granny Smith apples (about 7), peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 12 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
Place raisins and rum in a small pan over low heat. Bring just to a boil Cover; remove from heat.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Line a baking sheet with foil. Make topping: mix oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Stir in butter until crumbly. Toss in walnuts, if desired.
In a separate bowl, toss apples with sugar, flour and salt. Drain raisins; reserve 1 Tbsp. rum. Toss raisins with apple mixture
and reserved rum. Spread apple mixture in baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with topping. Place baking dish on sheet and bake until
filling bubbles and topping is golden brown, 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream,
Per Serving: 473 Cal., 15g Fat (9g Sat.), 37mg Chol., 5g Fiber, 5g Pro., 78g Carb., 283mg Sod.