After frosting the cupcakes, create the cookies with the following steps:
1. Microwave six caramels at a time for 2 to 3 seconds to soften.
2. Press two caramels together and roll out to an approximately 3-inch round.
3. Cut out a 3-inch circle using a cookie cutter. Repeat with remaining caramels.
4. Place a fortune in the center of each caramel circle.
5. Fold the caramel over the paper to enclose it in a half-moon.
6. Bring ends together to make a fortune-cookie shape.
7. Place caramel fortune cookies on top of cupcakes, press down lightly to adhere.
8. Garnish with orange candy fruit slices.
From What's New Cupcake? by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson