Woven Ribbon Easter Basket
Create a bright Easter basket (and fill it with goodies!) out of repurposed household items.
YOU'LL NEED (makes 1 basket):
- Several 20" lengths of ribbon (quantity and width of ribbon to be determined by amount and size of strawberry carton grid openings)
- Plastic pint-size strawberry carton (at supermarkets and produce stands)
- Double-sided tape
- 20" ribbon, ¼" wide
- Wire cutter
- Wire hanger
- Coffee can
- Needle-nose pliers
- Hot-glue gun
- 1 yard ribbon, ½" wide
- 2" ribbon, ¾" wide
- Weave a 20" length of wide ribbon horizontally around carton in over-and-under fashion, following natural grid of carton. Continue until ends meet. Tuck one end of ribbon underneath other end and secure together with a small piece of double-sided tape. Trim visible ribbon edge if needed.
- Layer ¼"-wide ribbon atop another wide ribbon, then weave ribbons around basket together, as if they are one. Secure ends as in step 1.
- Continue with wide ribbon until entire grid of basket has been woven.
- To make handle, use wire cutters to snip a 10" length of wire coat hanger. Wrap wire around coffee can or other cylindrical object to create rounded handle shape.
- Use pliers to bend small hooks at both ends of wire.
- To decorate handle with ½"-wide ribbon, glue end of ½"-wide ribbon to one end of wire. Carefully wrap ribbon around wire until wire is fully covered. Trim excess ribbon if needed and secure with hot glue. Let dry.
- Center handle over basket so ends are directly opposite each other. Loop hooks through opening in basket. On each side, wrap hooks and handle together with ribbon.
- Tie ¾"-wide ribbon into bow. Trim ends and adhere to top of handle using hot glue