Affordable family fun
Need to get out of the house? Find budget-friendly activities in your area that appeal to all ages
- Soak up culture. The Target chain foots the bill at thousands of events and museums across the country, allowing your free admission. Click on “Arts & Culture” on the Target Web site to find out what’s happening near you.
- Are you a Bank of America customer? Flash your card for access to more than 150 museums nationwide the first weekend of every month. Visit museums.bankofamerica.com.
- Enjoy a family flick. Make a weekly date and catch nearly free movies (50 cents to $1). During the summer, Regal and Cinemark offer one or two weekday matinee specials per week.
- Take a hike. Several weekends a year, more than 100 national parks offer free admission. Check dates at the National Park Service Web site.
- Go bowling. Lanes nationwide are offering two free games to kids all summer. Sign up to receive a voucher at KidsBowlFree.com.
- Hear a story. Many libraries have a drop-in story hour for kids once a week. Pottery Barn Kids offers free story time Tuesday mornings.
- Encourage a young filmmaker. At Apple Camp (in Apple retail stores), kids ages 8 to 12 learn how to make their own film using iMovie software. The three-day workshop is free and leads to a festival, where campers can debut their flicks.
- Take your kids out to eat for FREE! Check out 8 restaurants where kids are always VIPs.