Organize dirty clothes first and you will end up with cleaner laundry.
- Buy a double hamper with baskets or bags for darks and lights, and put an additional hamper in the bathroom for sheets and towels.
- Have your kids pick up and sort their clothes daily—which means less work for you.
- Sort clothes into piles of darks, lights and items including underwear and sheets that need to be laundered in hot water to kill bacteria.
- Separate fuzzy fabrics such as chenille or cotton fleece from corduroy, velour or permanent press items, or the whole load will be covered in lint.
- Avoid fading and prevent damage to clothing by turning corduroy, knits and denim inside out before washing.