All You 2011 Adopted-Dog Contest
No purchase necessary.
1. HOW TO ENTER: This contest begins 12:01 a.m. EST on Nov. 19, 2010, and ends 11:59 p.m. EST on Feb. 25, 2011. To enter via e-mail, send your essay of 500 words or less about why you love your pet and how and why you adopted it, plus a high-resolution photo (at least 4 x 6 inches at 300 dpi) to email@example.com. To enter via postal mail, send your essay and photo to “All You 2011 Adopted-Dog Contest,” All You, 135 W. 50th St., Room 253-O, New York, NY 10020. Mailed entries must be postmarked no later than Feb. 25, 2011, and received no later than March 4, 2011. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, illegible or incomplete entries, or entries not received for any reason. Entries become sole property of Sponsor, and none will be acknowledged or returned. By entering, Entrant warrants that the entry (1) is original and does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, (2) has not been published in any medium and (3) has not won an award.
2. JUDGING: All entries (including photo and essay) will be judged by All You editors, based on the following criteria: a) Overall charm and appeal of photo and essay (25%); b) Composition and quality of photo (25%); c) Photogenic qualities (25%); d) Appropriateness to contest theme (25%). In the event of a tie, an additional “tiebreaker” judge will determine the Winner from among all such tied entries using the judging criteria above. Incomplete and/or inaccurate entries and entries not complying with all rules are subject to disqualiﬁcation. Decisions of judges are ﬁnal and binding. Winner and Runners-up will be notiﬁed by telephone or e-mail.
3. ELIGIBILITY: Open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are 19 years old or older at time of entry (“Entrant(s)”). Void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor and its promotional partners and their respective parents, afﬁliates and subsidiaries, participating advertising and promotion agencies (and members of their immediate family and/or those living in the same household of each such employee) are not eligible.
4. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE: One Winner will receive a gift card. Approximate retail value: up to $500. Three Runners-up will each receive a gift card. Approximate retail value: up to $100. All other expenses not speciﬁed herein are the responsibility of the Winner. ALL TAXES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. The prize is awarded without warranty, express or implied, of any kind.
5. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: No transfer, assignment or substitution of a prize permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize (or prize component) for an item of equal or greater value at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Nothing in these ofﬁcial contest rules shall obligate Sponsor to publish or otherwise use any entry submitted in connection with this Contest. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Entrants agree to be bound by the terms of these Ofﬁcial Rules and by the decisions of Sponsor, which are ﬁnal and binding on all matters pertaining to this Contest. By entering, Entrant represents that any photo(s) and other materials submitted as part of Entrant’s Contest entry are original and will not constitute an invasion of privacy or otherwise infringe upon the rights of any third party, and that the Entrant owns or has the rights to convey any and all right and title in such photo(s) and other materials. In addition, by entering, Entrant grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free license to edit, publish, promote, republish at any time in the future and otherwise use Entrant’s submitted photo(s) along with Entrant’s name, likeness, biographical information, and any other information provided by Entrant, in any and all media for possible editorial, promotional or advertising purposes, without further permission, notice or compensation (except where prohibited by law). Potential Winner and Runners-up, as a condition of receiving any prize, also may be required to sign and return an Afﬁdavit of Eligibility, a Liability Release and where legally permissible, a Publicity Release and conﬁrmation of a license as set forth above within 7 days following the date of ﬁrst attempted notiﬁcation, certifying, among other things, the following: (a) entry does not defame or invade the privacy of any party; (b) entry does not infringe upon the rights of any third party; and (c) the photo and other materials submitted are original and have never been published and entry has never won an award. Failure to comply with this deadline may result in forfeiture of the prize and selection of an alternate Winner or Runner-up. Return of any prize/prize notiﬁcation as undeliverable may result in disqualiﬁcation and selection of an alternate Winner or Runner-up. Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Sponsor and its agencies to use Winner’s or Runner-up’s name and/or likeness, biographical information, and/or photograph, other materials submitted for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. By entering and/or accepting prize, Entrants, Winner and Runners-up agree to hold Sponsor and its promotional partners, its directors, ofﬁcers, employees and assigns harmless for liability, damages or claims for injury or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation in this Contest, the acceptance and/or subsequent use or misuse, or condition of any of the prizes awarded, or claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. False or deceptive entries or acts will render the Entrant ineligible. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the immediate and unrestricted right to disqualify any entrant or prize winner if he/she either commits or has committed any act, or has been involved or becomes involved in any situation or occurrence which the Sponsor deems likely to subject the Sponsor, Entrant, Winner or Runner-up to ridicule, scandal or contempt or which reﬂects unfavorably upon the Sponsor in any way. If such information is discovered by Sponsor after a Winner or Runner-up has received notice of his/her prize and before the prize is awarded, Sponsor may rescind the prize in its entirety. If a portion of his/her prize has already been awarded, Sponsor may withdraw the remainder of the prize that has been fulﬁlled. Decisions of the Sponsor are ﬁnal and binding in all matters related to this paragraph. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, in administration of the contest or in the announcement of the prize.
6. INTERNET: Sponsor is not responsible for lost or late entries nor for electronic transmission errors resulting in omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions or limitations of any kind, or inaccurate transmissions of or failure to receive entry information by Sponsor or presenter on account of technical problems or trafﬁc congestion on the Internet or at any website or any combination thereof. If for any reason the Internet portion of the program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, the Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to select Winner and Runners-up from eligible entries received as of the termination date. CAUTION: Any attempt by a contestant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the game is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such contestant to the fullest extent of the law. If there is a dispute as to the identity of the Entrant, the prize will be awarded to the authorized account holder of the e-mail address. The “authorized account holder” is deﬁned as the natural person to whom the e-mail address is assigned.
7. GOVERNING LAW: This Contest is governed by the internal laws of the state of New York without regard to principles of conﬂict of laws. All cases and claims pertaining to this Contest must be brought in a court of competent jurisdiction in the City of New York, without recourse to class action suits.
8. SEVERABILITY: If any provision of these Rules is found to be invalid or unenforceable by a court of competent jurisdiction or appointed arbitrator, such determination shall in no way affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision herein.
9. WINNER’S LIST: For names of Winner and Runners-up, available after July 22, 2011, send a separate self-addressed, stamped envelope to All You 2011 Adopted-Dog Contest, 135 W. 50th St., 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10020.
10. SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Contest is All You magazine, a division of the Time Inc. Lifestyle Group, 1271 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020.