Sugar goes by many names, which can make it hard to spot on ingredients lists. Luckily, there's a simple strategy that requires no counting of grams or calories: Look at the ingredients list on all packaged foods. If it puts any form of sugar in the first three ingredients, pass on it.
Look for sugar under these aliases:
• Anything with sugar in the name (including brown sugar, cane sugar, beet sugar and invert sugar)
• Anything with cane in the name (cane crystals, evaporated cane juice)
• Anything that ends in ose (dextrose, glucose, sucrose)
• Anything with syrup in the name (corn syrup, maple syrup, malt syrup, brown rice syrup)
• Anything with nectar in the name (peach nectar, pear nectar)
• Fruit juice concentrate