WEEK 8: Real Portions
Use this perfect portion guide to help you stick to your weight loss goals.
Just as important as what you are eating is how much. You’ve spent the last seven weeks upgrading the types of foods you enjoy—now it is time to get real about your portion sizes. Your eyes have been calibrated to a world of super sizing, so this week we’re going to work on learning to recognize healthful portions.
The best way to get a handle on the amount of food you consume is to weigh and measure everything you eat for seven days. Below is a list of portion targets to get you started down the road to perfectly portioned food.
- Whole-grain pasta: target portion = ¾ cup cooked (130 calories)
- Brown rice: target portion = ¾ cup cooked (162 calories)
- Oatmeal: target portion = 1 cup cooked (166 calories)
- Chicken, fish, beef: target portion = 3 oz. cooked (150 calories)
- Beans: target portion = ½ cup cooked (114 calories)
- Vegetables: Unlimited (raw or cooked), there are 35 calories in a cup
- Fresh fruit: target portion = 1 cup/piece (80 calories)
- Oil: target portion = 1 tsp. (40 calories)
- Nuts: target portion = ¼ cup/about 1 oz. (175 calories)
- Dried fruit: target portion = ¼ cup (110 calories)
- Cheese (2 percent): target portion = 1 oz. (90 calories)
THIS WEEK'S ASSIGNMENT: Break out your measuring cups and spoons and food scale to measure and weigh your food for the next seven days. Use the already portioned Real Food Recipes to keep your focus on real foods, eating three 400-calorie meals and two 150-calorie snacks a day.