Inspiring athletes, close finishes…the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, are bound to have you cheering together.
- Set the scene: Make an easy mix of sporty and patriotic touches.
• Hang paper garlands. Link taped rings of construction paper (in blue, yellow, black, green and red) around the room.
• Dish up gold-medal plates. Attach red, white and blue ribbons to gold paper plates ($4 for 20, partycity.com).
• Rate with scorecards. Write numbers 1 through 10 on separate sheets of cardboard and give everyone a set.
- Serve something tasty: Show spirit with snacks that are good for the whole team.
• Patriotic nachos: Melt white Cheddar on blue-corn tortilla chips; add salsa. Get extra credit for garnishing with sliced jalapeños in the Olympics logo shape.
• Mugs of soup: Play up the wintertime vibe by serving hearty chili or soup in cups, making couch dining easier.
• Popcorn torches: Fill ice cream cones with caramel popcorn.
- Make it fun: Ready, set, participate! Try these activities during breaks.
• Decorate T-shirts. Using washable fabric paint and markers, adorn old T-shirts with the flags of nations whose teams you’re rooting for.
• Take a world tour. Pull out an atlas to find Sochi, and consult the Web for virtual tours of popular Russian sites.
• Present medals. Line up step stools and aware chocolate coins on ribbon.
Score! The 2014 Winter Games run from February 7 to February 23. To check out the full schedule of televised events and decide when to assemble your home team, visit sochi2014.com/en.