Need some new denim? Learn how to find jeans that flatter your figure without costing too much!
Jeans shopping can be rough, so our challenge was to see if dark-wash bootcut jeans really are universally flattering. We started with 170 pairs of jeans and five willing women of different shapes and sizes. And the answer is a resounding yes! The dark hue and the slight flare are slimming, which gets you halfway to the right ones. Then hone in on the subtle details, and you'll find the perfect pair.
Kimberly Franz, 38, has a petite frame, but her thighs are full so jeans tend to gape around her small waist, especially in
* Choose a contoured waistband, which is cut higher in the back.
* Shop for fuller-cut leg openings.
* Find a waistband that is noticeably narrower than the hip.
Debra Mayer-Cabe, 52, has a straight figure, so jeans tend to be "too tight if the waist is too high," she says.
* Find a jean with a slim cut through the hips, thighs and rear to accentuate curves.
* Buy a midrise style so the waist width will be closer to the hip width.
* Steer clear of relaxed fits.
Kathryn Nast, 27, is a size larger on the bottom than on top, and she jokes that her "big booty" makes finding the perfect
fit a challenge.
* Try a lower-rise cut.
* Skip heavily detailed back pockets.
* Pick a style with a contoured waistband.
Christina Mendez, 30, loves jeans―she has 40 pairs in her closet. "It's important that the jeans get up over my hips but that
my stomach doesn't bulge over," she says.
* Wear jeans with stretch to hug your curves.
* Keep an eye out for simple details like stitching to add style.
* Avoid fading or whiskering.