Be cool and comfy in a style that suits your shape
The thought of wearing shorts can make plenty of women weak in the knees. But now that summer has arrived and comfort is crucial,
you figure you'll grin and bare them (your legs, that is). Well, here's some good news: There are shorts that will look terrific
on you, whatever your body type. You'll want the warm weather to last forever.
The right fabric makes all the difference in how you look and feel in shorts. Linen, for instance, is breathable, beautiful
and drapes well. Style-wise, shop for shorts with a wide leg that hits at the knee.
• Avoid stretchy material; the fabric should flow, not cling.
• Opt for a flat front to play down the midsection.
Short shorts just make a tall wearer look taller.
• Aim for a hem that's right above the knee.
• Look a long inseam and low waist.
A boyish frame can look more feminine with the right styling details, such as a slimmer fit, belt loops, buckles or pleats.
• Fill out a small behind with back-pocket details like snaps or flaps.
• Select a lower rise to play up the shape of your hips.
Choose a wide leg to balance out a body that's slightly bigger on the bottom―tapered legs accentuate the problem. This hemline,
which hits just below mid-thigh, shows off pretty legs without calling attention to wide hips.
• Leave yourself some legroom; shorts shouldn't squeeze thighs or rear.
• Try a drawstring waist. It has the adjustability of elastic but is more stylish.
To maximize leg length and add the illusion of height, try shorter shorts. Remember, short doesn't mean shocking―you want
to make sure the pair you pick isn't too tight (and no hot pants, please!).
• Choose shorts that hit mid-thigh or higher to make your legs look longer.
• Can't find shorts that are short enough? See if you or a tailor can cuff them.